Olivia Brown compiles an extensive list of completely worthwhile and useful things you need to know about life here at UCC. Well, some of it is worthwhile anyway…
- George Boole died from a severe cold he contracted after lecturing in wet clothes.
And yet come Winter I will still be attending lectures in jeans that feel like they’ve just been through a spin in the washing machine.
- If you stand in the centre of the amphitheatre you can hear your echo.
You’ll also provide endless entertainment for the folk in the student centre watching you talking to yourself. Still, you have to try it at least once while you’re here!
- They don’t accept credit cards in the main rest.
Don’t do like I’ve done and wait 15 minutes to pay for your food to discover you now have to wait another 15 minuets to get cash out of the ATM before you can enjoy your sausage, chips and beans.
- Bagel Bar, Apache Pizza and lots of seats are located above the main rest.
Handy to know when you can’t get a seat downstairs at lunchtime!
- There is a restaurant in the Glucksman Gallery that sells pancakes for €3.60, and you can get Nutella on them.
Thank me later, kiddos!
- The Student Union have a supply of beanbags over in the SU Common Room (it’s hidden behind the library).
They also have a microwave, a kettle, a pool table and some cutlery too! Sometimes they throw Comedy Central on the TV as well!
- The Philosophical Society is the oldest society on campus.
Philosoph, as it’s known about town, was set up way, way, way back in 1850.
- If you want to go down in the lift from Q+3, you have to press a button with an arrow pointing up.
This bothers me a lot more than it should.
- There are lockers in the Kane building which are free for students to use. If you can find one, grab one for yourself.
Just throw a lock on an empty one and register it with General Services – the building next to the staff canteen – and it’s yours! You’d be surprised how handy it can be.
- Avoid walking through the Quad unless you’ve graduated. Just don’t do it.
They say you’ll fail your exams. I have yet to meet someone who has tried this and passed so for your own sake, just don’t bother.
- Don’t walk across the crest under the tower by the Quad or you will get pregnant (AND YOU WILL DIE….)
You’ve gotta love when a Mean Girls quote is relevant. Legend has it those who wander over the university crest will become pregnant.
- At night time some say you can see the ghosts of the lost students who entered the ORB and never made it out.
Now they haunt the building’s halls looking for the Religion Department.
- UCC was the first university in the world to receive a Green Campus Award.
Check. Us. Out. Turns out we’re pretty environmentally friendly.